How do I reduce calls from telemarketers?
- The Anonymous Call Rejection (*77) feature on your home phone.
- The Do Not Call registry.
- A third-party blocking service such as Nomorobo. /
Among the calls that are rejected automatically are those identified as Anonymous, Private, or Blocked. The only calls rejected are those from sources that restrict their Caller ID information intentionally, including those using features such as Caller ID Block.
From time to time, the Public Telephone Switching Network (PTSN) is unable to transmit information from a calling party to a receiving party. In such cases, Caller ID systems might display a caller as Unknown, Out of Area, or Unavailable. This indicates that the Caller ID information is unavailable, not that it is being blocked actively. Such calls are not blocked by Anonymous Call Rejection (*77).
You can also block incoming call from numbers that you specify. For more information, see What is Selective Call Blocking?
To activate Anonymous Call Rejection:
- Press *77. You should hear three quick, short beeps to indicate the feature is enabled.
- Hang up.
Did You Know?
- When anonymous callers place a call to your home, they hear an announcement telling them to hang up, release their Caller ID information, and redial your number.
- The feature remains activated until you choose to disable it.
To cancel Anonymous Call Rejection:
Signing up for the national Do Not Call registry is an effective way to avoid telemarketing calls.
Telemarketers should not call your number once it has been in the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can notify them that you are on the Do Not Call registry. That stops most telemarketers from calling again. You also can file a concern on www.donotcall.gov.
To register a phone number on the Do Not Call registry:
- Go to www.donotcall.gov.
- Click Register a phone number.
- Follow the instructions on the site to register your phone number.
- You must have an active email address to register online.
- Your phone number stays on the registry permanently or until you change phone numbers.
- Using Features & Services
- Anonymous Call Rejection (*77)
- Call Forwarding (*72)
- Call Return (*69)
- Call Waiting
- Call Waiting ID
- Caller ID
- Caller ID on TV
- Directory Listing and Assistance
- International Calling
- Long Distance Callling
- Repeat Dialing (*66)
- Second Line
- Selective Call Blocking
- Speed Dial (*74)
- Star Codes
- Three-Way Calling
Helpful Tools & Services
For further assistance visit us at http://brighthouse.com/contact_us/.